Sunday, November 30, 2008

Kyoto Jazz Massive

In this world full of physical ideation, we’re often limiting ourselves from the amazing ability of our senses to capture the beauty of our surrounding. We think our eyes can only see beautiful faces. Our ears to hear nice music. Other than what our mind perceived as beautiful or nice, we reject them.

I should say now, pity us.

Here’s the story.

A couple days ago, I went to this annual jazz event in Jakarta. One of the performers is this group called Kyoto Jazz Massive. Honestly I’ve never heard of them before. I consider myself a big jazz fan, so I went to watch them play with the least expectation. At first, I saw a bunch of, traditionally, not attractive people. Skinny average-looking Japanese guys with instruments and two overweight black women vocalists. I thought, when you are in show business, you should be at least pleasant to eyes. So there I was, sitting lazily, felt uninspired. And then they played.

And now I’m in love.

Okino Shuya and Okino Yoshihiro, the leader of the band, magically blend electronica with the instrument flair of jazz musicians in virtuoso level. Vanessa Freeman and Tasita D’Amour, the vocalists, sung not only with their mouth, but with the exquisite vibration come from their entire body and soul. So original, so rich, so entertaining, so inspiring. They make many factory-made, mainstream performers grew by today’s popular culture look and sound so minuscule.

When you decide to look with your ears and listen with your eyes, you will understand this so much feeling that I have now. In love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat..

Well, it is true to what you have said. Like a saying goes "Don't judge a book by its cover" coz looks can be deceiving. I am glad that you went to the jazz event with an open mind though you claimed that you have never heard of them. Always give one's self a benefit of doubt. Cheers to u, Nat :)