Saturday, May 16, 2009

Being in the Moment

My buddy Andrian has just had his birthday and I was looking for a present for him yesterday. He likes all those wacky funny books so I went to a bookstore to get one for him. But then I found a book on men’s grooming, and decided that it’s just the right book for him. Not because he needs a soft nudge on how to groom himself better, but this book is a guide for the very metrosexual. My plain meat and potato Andrian laughed when he received that book, but I intimidated him to use some of the tricks and he, as usual, agreed… hahaha…

But it’s not about him I’m going to write about. While I was buying the book for him, I found this book titled She Means Business: 7 New Rules for Marketing to Today’s Woman. I bought it and read it. It’s overall a pretty decent book on marketing, but there’s this one phrase that particularly gets into me. It said, women are always longing to be in the moment.

Sometimes it’s my hardest thing to do.

While watching tv today, I saw this presenter in HBO named Mohini, who reminds me of this friend which slipping away quietly, never told me what actually happened, and I was sad. While with my friends a couple days ago, we’re talking about this public figure who rumored to be abused by her husband, I remembered one of my ex and her piercing words, and I was sad. While waiting for my evening flight last week, I heard boarding announcement for passengers to Denpasar, and I remember some time ago of that kind of call at exactly the time of the day will be my calling for happiness, but it’s not anymore now, and I was sad.

The thing is, in my usual everyday day, I actually don’t really think about those events. But when it inadvertently slips into my mind again, whoosh, into time machine I’m back to the time it happened. The face, the words, the feeling, all fresh like it happens now. It’s so easy just to give up and soak myself in that feeling, sitting in the dark. But something always nudges me inside, reminds me to shake it off and live again in the moment. Back again to watch the show on tv. Back again to chat merrily with my friends. Back again waiting for my own boarding call.

How long does it take you to glance at the rear view mirror when driving? Not more that a second or two I guess. You can’t look at that mirror too long, otherwise you can’t see where you’re going ahead, and it can be fatal. That’s exactly what to do with lingering eventful past. When it slips into your mind, you can peek it for a second or two. But then always look front again immediately, otherwise you can’t see where you’re going now. Just be in the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your last paragraph really makes sense...like it!

jekiy said...

The last paragraph is very true. I never realized it before. Nice analogy :)